Friday, July 29, 2011

Goodbye to the C word!


Well... we got the CA 27-29 cancer marker results and the MRI reslults of my Mom’s spine back. The results were normal!  The CA 27-29 is a cancer marker specific to breast cancer. The normal range is between 1 and 38, my Mom’s was a 12. Dr. Ben-Jacob said that this test isn’t always accurate and it only works with 80% of women so my Mom still needs to pay close attention to her body and let him know of any symptoms. I know that it’s good that my Mom’s cancer marker came back normal but they never tested the cancer marker before, when she had cancer. I think they should have tested her for a baseline. I know a woman that had breast cancer with multiple lymph nodes positive and her test came back an 8 before her treatments. She said that the test doesn’t work for her because her marker was always low even with cancer. This is what worries me. I really wish the Dr. would have run this test after her mastectomy and before her treatments so we would have a baseline we could go from. Dr Ben-Jacob called my Mom last week with the results of the MRI and CA 27-29 and said “I now consider you in remission”. I know this is awesome news but I kind of wish they would do a whole body scan. I want to know 100% that there is no cancer in my Mom’s body. They will do the CA 27-29 every 3 months for the first year and after that the Dr. will decide how often it needs to be done. My Mom has also started taking the tomoxifen, she will take this pill for five years. Once my Mom hits the five year mark she will be cured! YAY! She will make the five year mark I know it. Especially with all of your prayers!   

 My Mom was also tested a few weeks ago for BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 gene. This is the gene that causes breast and ovarian cancer. The geneticist thought it could be a possibility that my Mom had the gene because ovarian and breast cancer seems to run in our family. Like I said earlier my Mom was always worried about ovarian cancer not breast cancer. We had no idea that they were linked on the same gene. If we would have known that my Mom would have been getting mammograms every 6 months instead of every year. Anyways, the genetic test came back negative! Which is a good thing for me, I will still have to be careful but at least we know it’s not genetic. This also means my Mom doesn’t have to hurry up and get her ovaries out anytime soon. My Mom doesn’t want to get her uterus and ovaries out right now, she says she keeps getting everything pulled out of her that makes her a girl and before long she will be a little boy with no hair. She is funny.

My Mom has always wanted to drive the Oregon coast so we have decided to finally go! We are leaving this afternoon and are so excited. My Mom also wants to take us to the redwoods. She went there when she was younger and wants to make sure that Carson and I see how beautiful it is. I will post some pictures when we get home!

Thank you for all of your love and support through this whole journey. Now we have to make sure that this cancer doesn’t come back!! I think we will always worry about it and it will always be in the back of my Mom’s mind. Keep those prayers coming because they work! It’s not over yet, we still have to battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment