Saturday, May 14, 2011

One Day at a Time

Today was a bit of a rough day for my Mom. When my Mom has a rough day we all have a rough day. She is still having some bone pain in her legs and hips as well as neuropathy in her hands and feet. She said her body feels like it has started chemo all over again, it could be the chemo trying to come out of her body. She was really discouraged today because she feels like at this point she will never feel better again or be able to use her hands or walk normal because of her feet. It’s hard to see my Mom sad and discouraged, especially when I know she is such a strong person, it takes a lot for her to feel down. I know it will get better, it will just take time.

This last Tuesday the 10th we had an “exiting” appointment with Dr. Ben Jacobs, the oncologist. He will not do a cancer marker test until after she has finished all of her radiation. My Mom will start taking the tomoxifen after radiation as well, this is the pill she will have to take everyday for five years. After radiation we will meet with Ben Jacobs again and he will go into more detail about the pill and the cancer marker tests.

Yesterday we went to the McKay Dee hospital in Ogden, they took CT scans of my Moms chest and tattooed her for radiation. My Dad and I couldn’t go back with her so we walked around the hospital. I have never been in such a nice hospital. They had  a fountain and a big pond outside with tables and benches. The cafeteria was huge and had every kind of food you can imagine. After exploring the hospital we went back to wait for my Mom. It took them about an hour and a half to do everything. I am not sure what all they did because I didn’t go back with my Mom. I did see her chest right after and it was marked up with red pen. The dots that they tattooed are so tiny you have to look for them. They look like tiny freckles. Radiation will start on May 23rd. She will go Monday through Friday for five to seven weeks. Hopefully the chemo side effects will subside a little before she starts the radiation. I am really hoping the radiation will be a piece of cake for her compared to the chemo.

I was thinking today how hard the year 2011 has been for my Mom and family so far. Who would have ever thought that any of this would be happening, life can change in a second, the only thing constant in our life is change. Its been about five months since my Mom was diagnosed but it feels like a lifetime ago. All I want is for my Mom to be cured and start feeling better. I know it will happen, one day at a time.

“A hero is just an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere in spite of overwhelming obstacles.”   -Christopher Reeve

My Mom is easily my HERO.

No comments:

Post a Comment